JSTOR includes archives of academic journals across the humanities, social sciences, and sciences, as well as select monographs and other materials valuable for academic work. Because the JSTOR database is an archive, the most recently published issues (past 3-5 years) may not be available. Some of these may be available in alternative databases. Within Jstore you have access to : Arts & Sciences I, Arts & Sciences II, Arts & Sciences III, Arts & Sciences IV, Arts & Sciences VII, Ireland Collection, Public Health Reports
Available from the library web site:
You may need to enter your IT Sligo user name and password:
Students: firstname.lastname@example.org and IT Sligo Password
(Students should try their student number alone with IT Sligo password if their email does not work)
Staff: email@example.com and IT Sligo Password
The initial screen shows a search box.
For example, type the term neolithic in the box and Click .
You are shown a list of articles. In the column on the left of the screen you can Refine Results in the following ways:
● Search for a word within results you have already found
● Decide if you want Journals or Books/Chapters, etc. The Library’s subscription is mainly for journals but sections of some books may be available.
● Limit the results to articles with a Publication Date in a certain range.
● Choose articles on a particular Subject
● Choose if you want to see: All Content or Content I Can Access (ie content for which full text is available within the library’s subscription)
You can also sort your results by Relevance or in order of publication date (starting with Newest or Oldest)
You can select some titles and use the drop down menu Export Selected Citations to export references to bibliographic management software, including Endnote.
Click on a title link from the list to see further details and the full text of the article which you can read on screen. Use the arrows to scroll forward or backward through the article.
● Alternatively, Click on the Download PDF link to see a pdf image of the article which you can save or print.
● Use quotation marks to search for a phrase: eg. "early neolithic"
● Use ti: to search for a word in an article title, au: to search for an author
● Use AND, OR, NOT to combine terms:
○ eg. neolithic AND ti:Ireland
Click the JSTOR icon at the top left of the screen to return to the main JSTOR page.
Click Advanced Search.
Type the word neolithic in the first box and select Item Title from the drop down list to the right.
Type the word pottery in the second box and select Item Title from the drop down list to the right.
Select Content I Can Access
Choose one or more options under Narrow Results to limit your search by Item Type, Language, Publication Date Range or to a particular Discipline or Journal
Click Submit Advanced Search
You are shown a list of articles.
You can narrow your search further by using the Search Within Results box to find articles with particular words or phrases.
Click the JSTOR icon to return to the main screen.
Click the Browse tab at the top of the screen. The dropdown menu allows you to browse by Subject, Title, Collections or Publisher.
For example, choose By Subject and from the list under Social Sciences Click Archaeology to see a list of Archaeology journal titles.
This is in a drop down menu under Tools. It allows you to drop an article into a box on screen and have it suggest relevant articles based on words in the original article.
On the main page Click Support and then Click Students for access to resources on using JSTOR.